Monday 9 November 2009

So more (moar??) self indulgent posting.

Its been a while but really I have been gathering Intel on this blog post. Or I’m fucking lazy

I am in a band, as some of you may know and for those who dont its @citytorn on Twitter, and we had a meeting last night.

On thing that came out of this meeting is that my drummer, and mostly the band leader, didnt know what the hell social media / networking is. This concerned me slightly, he is 23 with his finger vaguely on the pulse but at the same time he had no idea of what Twitter was or what its various uses are. Now dont see me as some sort of social media guru, I am far from it, for that you need to be looking at the @documentally and @hannahnicklin s of this world. No I would class myself in the power user category of tweeps, (this is the MS security version of a Power User, someone who uses most functionality can do basic to advanced tasks but does not do complex administration or configuration) I do not use Twitter to its full potential, but I understand it has potential, its just unlocking this that I find a little hard.

Now There are several ways I can get people interested in my bands Twitter and get them following and possibly converting those followers into fans, most of these though I view as ethically a little dubious, namely adding every last person who mentions the words city or torn in a tweet, or just trawling and following people hoping they will view and follow the band back. Like I said this seems a little dubious to me, its fine for spam bots to do this, because that’s their job, the people who use them however in my opinion can fuck off, so thats why I cant employ one myself. The other approach would take too much of my time and investment to show little real results. So I am stuck, sort of. The other way I can get this to work is to try and generate a following base of people using other sites, such as FB with Twitter integration or any various twadgets built into other pages, or just plain ol' fashioned Hey were on Twitter, just search city torn . But this has its own problem, people are very unwilling to join Twitter.

It may seem strange to say but people just do not want to move to a new site, namely because we come back to my drummers position ofI don’t understand Twitter, or we hit the roadblock of, but I am on Facebook why should I join Twitter?? Well there is no moral reason why you should really, I cant force you into it to be honest, but you could follow my band and unlock the potential for yourself, discover what a world Twitter is, it isnt just a whole bunch of ME ME ME or Arent I quirky in under 140 characters or the invariable influx of new users #lunchtime tweets. (Ok to fess up I have my #lunchtimephoto but I am requested to do them now because people like seeing me and my friend @bearpiglett having lunch) Twitter is like the social consciousness for the online world. It is millions of users with their opinions, their finds on the internet and their blog posts putting mps to rights over #3strikes

It is the central repository for the pull-centric idea of information and media delivery. The user decides what they want and they retrieve it, they arent having the content forced at them, they arent being told what to look at or which articles to read, they are generating their own content and creating a world wide repository for human ideals, interests and #failpics. It is an exciting world to be a part of

I just wish @citytorn could get a foothold in it

No comments:

Post a Comment